Monday, September 6, 2010

I'm Not Insane I'm Noooot... Not Insane.

Music weeding. I wonder sometimes if I'm the only one that does this. It's a result of my OCD-like tendencies that I do it myself. I go through my iTunes and CDs, and rework them. I get rid of old songs that I don't actually like, i go through and rate (or re-rate) all of my songs, upload new ones, and see what CDs are missing and what CDs I want to buy. It's a little tedious sometimes, but I find that the more I have my music organized, the more the rest of my life is organized (change your habits, then your way of thinking, as Mrs. Matushonek says).
A major problem that I run into though, while I'm doing this, is that I'm never quite sure what music I want to give up. With this particular music purge, I was actually transferring my music to a whole new computer, which made things at least a little easier. First, any music that wasn't mine (i.e. Justin's) wasn't transferred over. Then, I went through only the CDs that were stacked up on my dresser and uploaded them to my shiny new comp. From there, my deductive skills took over and I made a list of what CDs a certain someone still hadn't returned that I needed back (still waiting on those two Showbreads!). But then I have an issue. There were a number of songs bought off of iTunes by Justin and myself on my account name, so they're all technically mine. But just because I own a kind of fun Green Day song, does that mean I should transfer that one over? I mean, of course I transferred over all the songs that I had purposefully bought like Steppin Out by Manafest, and XOXOXO by Secret and Whisper, but what about those songs and CDs that Justin had wanted to buy, like Avenged Sevenfold? And Monty Are I? I never disliked them, heck I even liked a lot of them, so which ones do I keep? I don't like having music in my iTunes that I don't explicitly think of as mine, and that was what all that was. My biggest problem was Chiodos, because I've never really liked the idea of Chiodos itself, but every time I go through the songs we bought I would find myself really enjoying the music. But it's not a RadioU band, and I don't like the cover of the CD, and I don't really like the CD itself. But I do like the songs. It was a conundrum that puzzled me all night. Finally I just went through my iTunes again this morning and simply deleted all those songs that I didn't explicitly think of as mine. So major problem solved, I guess. But it's not quite over. I'm not sure what to do about music videos... There's a The Almost video and a Relient K video that i do actually like, but I don't like the way they look on iTunes (you know, that big blank space after the one title, since they're basically their own album). So do I let my OCD-tendencies completely take over and delete all the videos too? I'm just not sure any more....

No comments:

Post a Comment