Sometimes, I'm frightened of really weird things. Well, okay my roommate Testa seems to think that it's weird whenever anything frightens me, but we're excluding that opinion.
There is this weird memory I have. It's probably not a memory, really, but I can't tell what it really is. When I think of it, a picture forms in my mind. It's the skyline of a city, but it's not a realistic sort of skyline. The colors are all flat and bright, as if they're made of construction paper. The image of this, however, wasn't always this flat. I know that it used to at least elude to the idea that it was three dimensional, it was a real place out of my memory at some point, I can feel it. When the image comes to mind, it connects itself to the Columbus Public Library, so I'm guessing it's an image that I saw when I went there at some point as a kid. I get this feeling that it was something I saw, something that actually existed, but I don't know where in the library or by the library I would have seen such a place. It could be something that I saw in a picture book at the library, but even so I would think that I would remember this book, or at least the image as an illustration in some way.
But no. This image, dream, memory whatever it is comes into my mind in the most unexpected of times; most often in my dreams. When I have a real vivid dream, this city scape is in the background. It's been in several dreams over the years, appearing outside the window in airports and in the distance during a deadly capture the flag contest. Over time, I think the image has certainly changed, and I can only sort of sense what it used to be, but it's still there, unbidden, in the corner of my mind.
That's what scares me. I don't know where this image comes from, but it appears at those weird points when I have long since forgotten it, and then it is there again. It's hauntingly familiar and horribly distant at the same time.
Huh. I can't imagine what cityscape that might be. Poor baby--urbaphobia!
ReplyDelete