I would just like to take a minute to have a moment of contemplation for stop signs. Whoever created the stop sign is a genius, I think. Or was he? I'm sure the conversation went something like this;
[Yale Law Professor 1] "Ever since we've started letting people use those crazy self-driven automobiles, people keep running the cars into each other at intersections!"
[Yale Law Professor 2] "Why, how right you are! I wonder whatever could be done about that..."
[Nearby Yale Janitor] "Hows about someone tellin' 'em ta stop?"
[Yale Law Professor 1] "..."
[Yale Law Professor 2] "..."
[Nearby Yale Janitor] *whistles and leaves room*
[Yale Law Professor 1] "...Genius! We'll just tell people to stop!"
[Yale Law Professor 2] "Even better, we'll have a sign to do it for us!"
[Yale Law Professor 1] "My dear professoring friend, someday everyone will know our names for this ingenius invention!"
Apparently, Stop Signs originated in Michigan in 1915 according to Wikipedia, but I would like to point out that it does not say anywhere who invented the stop sign.
Ah, stop signs--those great, largely ignored wonders of modernity.
ReplyDelete