Five days ago today, I was given a secret to hold.
It was a warm secret, content to stay in my hands with just a tickle on my lips once in a while when it squirms to be let out. But often it's content to stay with me, in my clasped hands as it makes a warm nest on my palm. It shines out my fingers with my pride, my pride that I have been given a secret just for me.
"I've never told anyone this" he had said, "I'm not going to tell anyone until it happens." So I'm no one, I'm the one he can trust, I'm a friend.
It was wonderful, beautiful, the secret he gave me. I've been given dark secrets before, secrets that have tained me and squirmed at my insides, coloring me a deep shade depressed as the secret shows the need to get help. Those secrets shred my insides, they beat me and break me down until I cant handle it anymore. Those are the only secrets I have ever held, and they destroyed me, I no longer realized that secrets could be anything but pain.
But this secret is beautiful, it fills me with the realization that someone trusts in me, is willing to open their heart for me to step in. The secret shines in my hands and I look on it everyday and smile. It is not a dark secret, it is one filled with excitement and joy, and there is no need to share it. No need because it will hurt no one, because it is a secret about becoming someone, and no one needs to know but us.
He gave me this secret to keep and I will keep it happily, and wait for it to be fulfilled.
You know, of course, that I am deeply intrigued, but I promise to never ask you about it anyway.
ReplyDelete