Thursday, March 31, 2011

I Belong

It's a wonderful feeling to know that you belong.
I'm sure everyone wonders at some point or another whether they really belong to the group they are in - or to any group at all. I know some people that are so tightly knit in their cliques that they cant go a day without texting one another to make sure no one has disappeared off the face of the planet. I know others that have trouble keeping with any friends at all and end up being lone wolves.
I've worried many times that I'll be one of those people, never finding anyone that I'll have a close friendship with. We can never really see how we look to other people, you know? Few people will honestly tell someone they don't like that, well, they don't like them. I've seen people that thought they had a best friend, only to see that once that person leaves the room, the so-called best friend will all too willingly list off everything annoying about that person.
But I think I've finally found a place where I belong. I've acquired a group of friends that, amazingly enough, I feel as though I can bare my soul to and not get judged behind my back. Granted, it can be a weird dynamic. I've never had a friend before that's not afraid to tell me to my face if they think something I've been doing is wrong. They're not afraid to call me out on my crap - and think that I should do the same for them. It's been a long time since I've had friends that called me up to hang out at a time outside of school, and I forgot how much fun I could have.
There are three of us in this little group. We had a sleepover last night, and for the first time in eight years I stayed up until 5 in the morning with a group of friends that I really cared about. It was the first time in years that I actually had fun at a sleepover, without worrying about people writing on my face while I was sleeping, or gossiping about me when I went out of the room. It was the first sleepover in a long time that I didn't feel like telling someone off for doing something stupid, something that obviously I would never have done (note: sarcasm).
Who else could I talk to about unicorn whales and noodle arms? About Final Fantasy and Animal Crossing? I don't know how I did it, but I found some true friends here, and you can be sure I'm sticking with them.

1 comment: