Sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
Friday, November 5, 2010
How to Recognize a Writer
A.P. English Literature (and Composition, if anyone cares) today was all about suspense. Of course, since it was taught by students it had the routine quiz (multiple choice) and movie clip (Sherlock Holmes) associated with all student teachings (not student teachers, these are students from our class teaching us because our teacher is lazy). Then we had an activity. Put into three groups of about nine people each, we were to do a "roundabout" suspense story. Each student gets the paper for thirty seconds to write as much suspenseful literature as they can, then passes it on. Now, in our group of nine, I'm pretty sure I was the only person who ever writes anything that's not for school, so when that paper came to me, I decided it was about time I showed it. Signature purple pen in hand, I wrote about half of our overall total story which, out of the three stories written by our class, was by far the best (not my words, thank you Meredith). The story was about a character (written in first person, I always assumed it was a girl) who walks through an old abandoned house (why?!) and begins to feel that she's not alone because she hears growling and creaking footsteps (because the ditz entered an old house alone at midnight), not so long story short, it ended up she was being followed by "a cat", which is in quotations because that is the whole of what the last kid in our group, David, wrote in his thirty seconds. Stroke of genius, my friend. Also, now I really want to see Sherlock Holmes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I do too. Did your teacher not make any mention of Purple Prose? WHAT a missed chance.
ReplyDelete