Saturday, February 20, 2010

Golden Fleecie Sheepie


Sheep are adorable. Seriously, there's no denying it. Whether they're cartoony or realistic or whatever else, sheep are the most huggable, squeezable, adorable animals ever created.
I've been reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series lately. In fact, I just started the second book today. Oh, and I also finished the second book today... Moving on.
The second book refers to an ancient Greek tale about the "golden fleece," which was the fleece of a golden ram that Poseidon had created for some reason I cant quite remember (but I do remember it involved the sheep flying and someone falling off its back and dying, oops). The whole time I was reading about the little sheep I was thinking oh, so cute so cute so cute! Until I read that when the sheep finished flying the other kid, Phrixus - the one that didn't drown - across the sea, Phrixus turned around and sacrificed the poor sheep to the sea god, Poseidon. To this I respond; What the heck is wrong with these stupid Greeks? First of all, why would they sacrifice to Poseidon something that Poseidon gave to them in the first place? It's like, "Oh, you gave me this birthday present? Well that's cool! Here, have this birthday present you just gave me, to show my thanks!" Why not just accept the gift and be done with it? Also, the guy Phrixus, after sacrificing the sheep, keeps its golden fleece for himself. So now he's killed the sheep to sacrifice to Poseidon, then he keeps the good part to himself, all the gold, which negates the point of sacrificing it. Plus, if he had never sacrificed the sheep, he would have more gold all the time, growing from the little sheepie, and then he could sacrifice the gold once in a while to Poseidon and keep some for himself and the sheep would get to live, for heaven's sake! I mean, the little guy was talking to Phrixus encouraging him their whole flight together and when they touch down, Phrixus goes, "Well that was nice, now I will kill you. Goodbye." Puh-leez! Those Ancient Greeks have no sense of hospitality.
I still love the sheep, though. It's adorable and cuddly (well, as cuddly as a sheep made of gold can be), and just all full of luviness.

2 comments:

  1. I'm having a bad case of LOL, but I'm going to quibble just a bit with one of your conclusions. Think about giving something to God--there isn't a single thing you could give Him that He hadn't given you! It wasn't true of the greek gods, naturally, but they didn't know that, did they? But still, sweetie, you are a HOOT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well obviously I wasn't talking about God :) I was very careful to not capitalize the "g", so he was just "a god."
    Well, and even in the old testament when the Jewish people did sacrifice sheep to God, I'm pretty sure they never kept their sheepy pelts afterwards, I mean that would be just rude!

    ReplyDelete