Friday, November 18, 2011

Liverpool!

Totally and extremely relevant to my last post, I just went to the most fantastic Linguistics seminar today. The speaker (oh my goodness she was from New Zealand) was giving a talk today titled Football vs. Football. To summarize, she and one of her friends went to Fados and saw that the soccer fans there, although American, would gain a British accent when cheering for their team. So the two of them conducted an experiment that was all about how when fans of a team take on a sort of identity from that team, they can affect a similar accent.
In other words, if I start watching British soccer, I'm going to adopt a British accent.
Yes.

Really, that's all I had to say on that topic. I just wanted to let you know my future plans to infiltrate the land of Great Britain with a soccer accent. Now I just need to find a team to cheer for.

1 comment: